Seeking a sustainable dentist in Vancouver, Washington?
Dentus is committed to environmentally responsible dentistry. That's why we use energy efficiently, use sustainable resources and recycle. We are excited to attend the first ever Green Dentistry Conference this May 4-5th 2013 in Utah. Go to www.ecodentistry.org for more information or stay tuned for our "green" updates. Furthermore, we do our part to promote a healthy planet in these specific ways…giving all of our patients another reason to smile:
Green initiatives we've practiced for 8 years or more:
- Reverse osmosis water filtration is used throughout the building.
- All sensitive paperwork is shredded and recycled.
- Electronic messaging system in place to reduce intra-office paper messages/notes
- High efficiency/low energy light bulbs used throughout the building.
- We use permanent plates, glasses, mugs and utensils in our staff lounge, along with refillable containers for sugar/salt/pepper (to avoid using individual condiment packets). This reduces waste related to disposable paper products.
- Low flow toilets in restrooms
- Digital x-rays and intra-oral photography are used for diagnosis. In most cases this reduces our patient's exposure to radiation as compared to traditional x-rays. It also eliminates the need for toxic x-ray development chemicals.
- A special water filtration system is used to capture old mercury fillings and dispose of them in an environmentally sound manner. This prevents pollution of our local waterways with such materials.
- Instruments are sterilized in a surgical-grade Autoclave, which uses steam to destroy contaminants. This reduces water usage and eliminates harmful chemicals.
- All ink and toner cartridges are recycled.
- Laundry facilities on site, reducing transportation pollution and fuel usage for linen delivery.
New green initiatives:
- We’re proud to announce that our office has joined the Eco-Dentistry Association, expanding our commitment to people-friendly & planet-friendly practices. We also plan to obtain eco-friendly office certification!
- We are participating in the "Green Lights" program, sponsored by the Clark County Public Utilities District. As part of this, Dentus will be purchasing blocks of sustainable energy to offset our current energy usage. Learn more about the Green Lights program.
- All in-office waste, including clear plastics, aluminum, glass bottles and misc. paper are being recycled. (This is now possible through the local Waste Connections business recycling program.)
- Use of non-toxic/biodegradable cleaners
- 100% staff participation to stop junk mail (credit card & direct mail offers) at our homes — saving 9 trees per employee & spouse per year: a total of 315 old growth trees per year. You can participate by calling 1-888-5-OPTOUT, (1-888-567-8688) 24 hours per day.
- We are eliminating duplicate mailings of industry publications/catalogs.
- Medical grade hand sanitizers to reduce water usage
- We are replacing all disposable cups for patient use with glassware, which is both permanent and recyclable.
- Envelopes, letterhead and multiuse copy paper is between 30% and 50% post-consumer recycled paper.
- We are utilizing local companies whenever possible, to reduce transportation pollution and support locally-owned small businesses.
- We are eliminating paper documents where possible, and encouraging software developers to include more "print to file" and "display" options.
- Dual-flush toilet flushing systems are being installed, which use less water for liquid waste and more water for solid waste.
- All clear plastic barrier materials (chair covers, handle covers, etc.) used in the operatories are now recycled.